Sunday, August 06, 2006

More vintage finds and...

Greg and I went to another antique shop/flea market yesterday. I found some interesting items! The first were two old "Loop Craft" weaving looms. The looms are metal and square and one came with the instruction booklet. They seem like the old version of the potholder looms of today. The old packaging and authentic booklet was too much for me to resist. I plan on experimenting with them...maybe I can make something that the looms weren't intended for :)


The other item I found while digging at the flea market was a "Golden Treasury of Needlecraft" book that was published in 1949. If you've been reading my blog, you know I love old knitting patterns (preferably from the 1940's or before). My mom has found me more then a few, and I've been slowly adding to my collection. I've been particulary looking for books that have not only great old instructions but the nice old intricate patterns. This book has both! It's not only knitting - but includes sewing, crochet, and even a little paper craft.

There are great patterns for men included - very finely knit scarves and gloves patterns. I think I'll be making at least one thing from this book for Christmas presents.

While not digging through flea market booths I've also been working on the Waves shawl for my friend/coworker. It's almost complete now - I haven't measured the length but it looks about there. The Needlecraft book has me picturing how I'm going to wrap it up for her. Somehow handing her a plastic bag with a balled up shawl in it just isn't going to cut it. I'll take a picture of the final presentation when it's done. In the mean time, here's some pics of the Cherry Waves as it looks to date:


4 comments:

  1. I remember doing the potholder thing on those old metal looms. The ones we had were painted blue and, although they hurt if yuo stepped on them with bare feet, they didn't break easily at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:42 AM

    Have you seen this site:

    http://www.eloomanation.com/projects.php

    Jak from MA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jak,

    That's an amazing link!! I've never seen that before. It's really amazing what can be done with the simplist of looms - I'll have to give something a try.

    Thanks for posting!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great vintage score! I have a very small collection of very old needlecraft magazines that I love to pull out on rainy days and just *time travel*...

    ReplyDelete