Friday, December 01, 2006

Another classic, Classic Mary Jane's

It's finally ready for posting - the Classic Mary Jane's!

While in the midst of this project I decided to figure out the "never-quite-good-enough" bind off problem that I've always had with looms. It's always either a bit too tight or a bit too loose. The knit stitch bind off is modeled after the bind off used in needle knitting. I hope you are as excited about this as me...

These slippers were a request from a very good customer and I'm glad she did request them! Nothing like a request to get me thinkin'...

More info on this design:
Yarn: Lion Suede
Yardage: 2 balls for a total of about 240 yards
Loom Used: Blue Knifty Knitter round loom
Skill Level: Intermediate/Advanced
Techniques Used: E-wrap cast on, knit stitch, purl stitch, increasing, yarn over, and a new technique I'm calling the knit stitch bind off (detailed instructions included)

Other Notes: I use 2 strands of yarn held together throughout. The yarn used is very soft and a great choice for this pattern as it doesn't stretch out of shape once made. Since these slippers are close fitting this yarn is highly recommended to maintain the desired look after being worn for a bit. The toe up design eliminates bulk at the toe end, making a dainty and less irritating slipper for sensitive feet!

A few more pics



From the other side




The shapely little toe and the cute bow

Off the foot!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:21 PM

    I love those!! They look soo cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:45 PM

    These are super cute. I bought the pattern, and am trying to knit a pair for my aunt. However, I do not understand the pattern where it says to knit until you're just shy of the foot length, bind off the back edge, then sew the heel seam. It seems like there needs to be another step, as I'm knitting a flat panel, and there's nothing to sew it to, for the back of the foot. Please post corrections.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. anonymous,

    To sew the heel seam, just fold the back of the slipper (that you just bound off) in half and sew up the two edges. This is the same way I create the heel for the Princess Slippers - if you have that one as well...

    Send me a direct email if you need more clarification. I will add this to the pattern PDF as well.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SOOOO excited that I found your blog, because I have been *wanting* a pattern for Mary Jane Slippers (DESPERATELY!) ever since I started this new hobby. I bought a pair at Cost Plus WorldMarket a few years ago, and adore them so much. I wanted to find a pattern so I could make some too. Can't wait to try it! Thank you!
    -Megan R

    ReplyDelete