Enough people have requested my instructions for the flap that I added to the Sophie bags I've been making so I thought I should post it so everyone can benefit.
First off, download the original pattern for the Sophie's here:
Then when you get to the binding off part, follow these instructions instead:
At the top of the bag, where the pattern tells you to bind off 39 stitches, only bind off on one of the sides. So this will leave you with 6 stitches on a holder for one side of the handles, 39 stitches bound off, 6 stitches on the other side for the handles, and then 39 stitches on the back of the bag for the flap. These last 39 stitches I placed on a holder in order to finish the handles before working the flap.
Put the 39 stitches back on the needles. Knit back and forth in Stockinette stitch for about 10 rows. Increase one stitch at the beginning and end of next right side row. 2 stitches increased - total of 41 stitches on the needles. At this point its good to start counting rows with a row counter. Then -
- Knit 9 rows in Stockinette stitch. Then increase one stitch at the beginning and end of next. 43 stitches total
- Knit another 9 rows in Stockinette stitch.Then increase one stitch at the beginning and end of next. 45 stitches total
- Knit another 9 rows in Stockinette stitch.Then increase one stitch at the beginning and end of next. 47 stitches total
- Knit 2 rows in Stockinette stitch.
- Bind off all stitches in next row.
The flap (after felting) will have an A-line shape that matches the bag sides.
Once felted I added the twisted icord edging from "Knitting on the Edge" by Nicky Epstein. The pattern is on page 58 in the book. Knit it long enough to go around the edge of the flap. Then sew on using a needle and matching thread.